Sunday, May 15, 2016

How I tried to deploy an Elixir/Phoenix framework web app and didn't manage to do that

Lately I've been trying to deploy a simple Elixir/Phoenix application-blog to a Digital Ocean server and it hasn't panned out. Over the course of a few days I hasn't managed to do that, although, I did feasibly deploy Haskell and Rust applications a little while ago and that took me less than a day and which I also was doing for 1st time.

With Phoenix it was different. I've had bunch of errors deploying my application with Exrm https://github.com/bitwalker/exrm and if it wasn't one thing, it was another.  I'd fix the bugs but then others would pop up. Besides, the documentation on their official website and in the blogs is getting outdated fast.

The straw that broke the camel's back was a bug in a dependency which I got on a server but didn't have locally. Locally, however, the application worked.

Now I'm thinking of switching back to Clojure, Haskell or Rust for this project and returning to Elixir/Phoenix later when it becomes more mature because now, version 1.1.4, it's a disaster which catastrophic consequences. 

No comments :

Post a Comment